The Valparaiso University track and field teams competed in the second day of the Missouri Valley Conference Outdoor Championships, hosted by Indiana State in Terre Haute, Ind. on Saturday. Senior Brandon Riley (Chicago, Ill./Morgan Park) led the way by improving upon his place in the record book in the 400-meter dash. With one day remaining, the Crusaders have an opportunity to move up in the team standings. The men trail seventh by eight points, while the women are behind seventh by just four.
How It Happened
- In the women’s shot put, junior Nellie Bonham (Palos Hills, Ill./Stagg) went 37 feet, 6 inches to place 13th overall.
- Riley sprinted to 13th place in the men’s 400-meter dash with a time of 48.51. The veteran now claims the fourth-fastest time in school history for the event.
- The 400-meter hurdles saw sophomore Bryce Otterbach (Mendota, Ill./Mendota Township) cross the finish line in 56.53, placing 12th overall.
- Freshman Will Maidment (Woodstock, Ill./Woodstock) reached 6-4 in the high jump to finish in 10th.
- With a toss of 46-3¼, sophomore Jake Rasawehr (Celina, Ohio/Celina) finished 13th in the men’s shot put.
The Crusaders will close out the Championships on Sunday in Terre Haute, Ind. with field events starting at 10:30 a.m. CT and running events commencing at noon CT. Live stats and video (ESPN+) are available through ValpoAthletics.com.